On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 02:31:57PM +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>       Simon writes:
>
> > Actually, I see no real point in coding with Etk/Ewl an aplication
> > that already exists with Gtk or Qt. It would "only" offer more
> > consistency with an E desktop, and some eye-candy effects but it's
>
>       If no 'existing' gtk/qt apps are ever written with ewl/etk,
> then there never going to be any image viewer apps, any text editors,
> or any of the other 20,000+ apps that exist -- you're going to have
> to think real hard to make up a 'brand new' kind of app that no one
> has ever done before in gtk/qt, just to make it 'worth' doing in
> e's toolkits??
>
> > quite a waste of time imho. We should try to think differently,
> > because we have tools (Edje/Evas) that allow us to do things

I think the sentiment he's trying to get across, which is one I share,
is that there is little point in rewriting a gtk/kde app in an e widget
set if it looks and functions exactly the same. E.g. using emphasis (or
whatever the glade lib is) with a gnome app's glade file is a lot of
effort (recreating the backend functionality) with the only gain being
glinty buttons.

The point is NOT that we can't use new, innovate image viewers, text
editors, etc. But, we need to sit and think about how we can improve on
the current 'desktop app' idioms.

Elicit is a simple enough application that it can have its gui entirely
defined in edje. I've thought several times about breaking some of its
layout out into some smart objects (e.g. the a simple notebook
smartobj). However, this would severly dampen what is possible from the
theming standpoint. Tokyo has done some amazing versions of pared down
single panel (no tabs) themes for elicit.

You'll also notice that elicit has no proper configuration dialogs. So,
if a theme doesn't provide a theme selector, then you can't switch
themes. For small apps like this, this is an arena where traditional
packed widgets fit in.

Many larger apps (image viewers, music players, etc) could probably be
done in a similar fashion. E.g. a free form edje ui for the primary
functionality, with a packed widget set for dialogs. But, it really
depends on the app in question (and the imagination of the author).

rephorm