On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 09:59:02 -0500,
Brian Mattern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote :

> On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 02:31:57PM +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> >     Simon writes:
> >
> > > Actually, I see no real point in coding with Etk/Ewl an aplication
> > > that already exists with Gtk or Qt. It would "only" offer more
> > > consistency with an E desktop, and some eye-candy effects but it's
> >
> >     If no 'existing' gtk/qt apps are ever written with ewl/etk,
> > then there never going to be any image viewer apps, any text
> > editors, or any of the other 20,000+ apps that exist -- you're
> > going to have to think real hard to make up a 'brand new' kind of
> > app that no one has ever done before in gtk/qt, just to make it
> > 'worth' doing in e's toolkits??
> >
> > > quite a waste of time imho. We should try to think differently,
> > > because we have tools (Edje/Evas) that allow us to do things
> >

> I think the sentiment he's trying to get across, which is one I share,
> is that there is little point in rewriting a gtk/kde app in an e
> widget set if it looks and functions exactly the same. E.g. using
> emphasis (or whatever the glade lib is) with a gnome app's glade file
> is a lot of effort (recreating the backend functionality) with the
> only gain being glinty buttons.
Exactly what I meant :) Btw, the glade-like lib is enhance, emphasis is
the mpd client (audio player).

Actually, one thing that could be really cool would be a tool like
Glade, but that would allow us to build interfaces made of Edje objects
and Etk (or Ewl) widgets. For example, for Entrance, we could have the
main interface still be an Edje object but we could replace the
entry/buttons by themed Etk widgets. With the tool, we could place the
widgets wherever we want in the interface (no fixed layout anymore).
Same for elicit, the spinners could be spinners from Etk (just an
example). The apps will look exactly the same, and will still be as
themable as before, but it would combine the advantages of the both
libraries (Edje and Etk): the high themability of Edje and the ease of
use of Etk (there would be no need to reimplement the behavior of an
entry or of a spinner in the code, there would natively be
keyboard-navigation between the different widgets of the
interface, ...). I'm not sure I'm clear here, but I really think it
would be really nice thing to have.

Simon