On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 13:21:33 +0100,
Laurent Ghigonis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote :

> Thu, 22 Mar 2007 00:10:33 +0100,
> Simon TRENY <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote :
>
> > There is something I'd like to discuss here although I'm not sure
> > it's really the right place to do so.. Since Etk and Ewl have begun
> > to be usable enough, there has been a lot of new apps using one of
> > these too. The thing is, too often those apps only copy existing
> > apps and I just don't think this the right way. A lot of these apps
> > would have been a lot better if they hadn't used a toolkit but if
> > they had used directly Edje (and using Etk/Ewl only for the config
> > dialogs). For example, if we want to have a nice, original and
> > innovative image viewer, I really think its main interface should
> > be directly coded with Edje (like what entice did but in a more
> > complete way). Same thing for a filemanager, for an audio/video
> > player or for an IM client...
> >
> > Toolkits are nice for config dialogs or for apps that need to offer
> > a lot of control. If we really want to have a nice and innovative
> > Enlightenment desktop environment, we should be different from the
> > other desktop environments. We should have apps with a really nice
> > and well-designed interface, and most of the time, this is just not
> > possible with a toolkit. Elicit is a good example of an innovative
> > application that blows your mind away when you first launch it. If
> > it were using Etk or Ewl, it would just have been a common
> > application.
>
> Hi,
>
> I agree with you that edje is a very powerful tool to create
> applications, and we should use it to create innovative user
> interfaces like in elicit or rage.
>
> But what about consistency between applications ?
> Do you have ideas how to maintain some king of consistency between
> apps, when creating you're own edje interfaces, or when using custom
> widgets in toolkits ?
> For example sharing color classes ...
I agree, the biggest problem with Edje is the consistency issues:
different looks, different behaviors... A glade-like tool could greatly
help on this point I think.

> A tool like Glade, that would allow us to build interfaces made of
> Edje objects and Etk (or Ewl) widgets may be a part of the solution,
> but i believe it should be done at library level, not in a gui creator
> tool.
What do you mean by "at library level"? There will indeed be functions
to load the interface (in Etk, in Enhance, or in another lib, I don't
know yet) but we'll still need a tool to build the interface (the tool
will be used to assemble Edje objects and widgets/containers).

Simon