On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 09:07:23 +0100
Andreas Volz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Interesting information. I'll think about if it worth again to write
> feature requests or bug reports for E17 in the future. If nobody reads
> it, I could save this work. :-(
>
> I've CVS write permission, but I think you'll not that happy if I
> insert my requests direct into TODO, not? :-)
>
> So a system like bugzilla is really needed. I don't understand your
> problem. You get an email from bugzilla with the content of the new
> post. So no need to use a web browser. And if you like to change
> something, then click on the link and it opens in the web browser. You
> could close it one minute later after posting your comment.
>
> As natural there're everytime two groups of people. That one requesting
> the bugs and that one fixing the bugs. Both are important and needed!
> In my experience "external" testers are more effective that if the
> developer tests his own code. The testers also spend many time in
> writing bug reports, create gdb traces and so on. Don't forget this
> work!
>
> regards
> Andreas

I'm not a dev, just user/little contributor, so this is my
user's point of view, mainly related to bugzilla/TODO file.
Imho, both "tools" must coexists, a TODO file comes from main author
and the target audience is end users, and bugzilla's entry (bug,
improvement, whatever) comes from users to devs.
As user, i read the TODO file, i see what the app/lib can do, what it
can't do and what are the features that's needed to have. If i've
coding capabilities i can contribute, removing lines from TODO file.
Having coding capabilities, i'm also interested to Bugzilla's entries:
this is the hard thing that i've found.
I've found a bug, or i've an enhancement request (for both of them,
usually i attach a patch, or at least a backtrace): 0) i've to choose a
product; 1) i've to choose the people involved; 2)i've to wrote a
description and attach files (patch or bt).
Steps 0 and 1 are what i don't like in bugzilla system: not all
E17 products are available (0), and when i set CC entries i see (i
think) all people registered to bugzilla (1).
Example: usually i'm involved with Etk, so now i know that i've to CC to
codewarrior,lok,leviathan,moom and morlenxus, but there's other
people that can take a look to my patch and apply it if it's right.
Note that's not easy to do (imho).
Dunno if it's a bugzilla limitation, but it would be best if each user
can choose which E17 product are involved to; in this way we have two
improvements: 0) filling entries is easy and more "accurate" 1) users
that aren't main devs, and usually not CCed, can receive a bug
notification and help to close it.
I'm not an bugzilla expert, but seems to me that Group feature can help
us.
Finish, when new product is available, all registered users have to
receive a mail notification, in order to choose to add new product to
theirs "product observation" lists.

My 2 cents, and sorry for my english.

Massimiliano
- --