On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 07:43:40 -0500 "Hisham Mardam Bey"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled:

> > it shouldn't take a tonne of time to complete. though from what you say you
> > are suggesting a freeze to fix bugs - not "finish the TODO" ?
> >

> Not entirely - just avoid any items on the TODO (if any) that are
> big-ish new features as opposed to fixing bugs or completing currently
> open (and incomplete) features.

agreed - though these 2 biggish ones are imho needed, but that's it.

> > i agree - the wizard i know i only want certain functionality - it's even
> > modular in and of itself, so we only put the modules in we need. i even
> > have a proposed list of modules we need to do - it's not long. it's in
> > comments in the wizard code. most are simple. i'd be happy to drop some
> > (xrender vs software test and just use software anyway), drop default ibar
> > apps (just ship with a default set anyway - but make that a separate file
> > for the list so it can be customised per distribution), drop the
> > keybindings question and default wallpaper and theme q's - most of the rest
> > are really trivial question pages. it just needs momentum and examples. the
> > fm has more work - but not a lot more. it's so close i don't think it
> > should be all dropped. it's been on the todo forever. after that we have
> > done all major todo items left - the rest are minor things, cleanups,
> > fixing gaps in complete functionality etc.
> >

> Sounds good.

:)

> > we can set a schedule - and i will bet we will slip. if we set
> > milestones/tasks and just do those - then we can get it done at a pace that
> > allows that. if you want a schedule from me - i will currently put in 0
> > hours per week for the next 2 months as an allocation - why? i'm moving
> > countries and who knows what time i will have. in essence those milestones
> > are IN the TODO. i'm removing fm todo items i think can be dropped right
> > now. i've dropped some other items. see cvs commit.
> >

> Noted.
>
> I guess that after your last commit to the TODO, we can grab that file
> and split it up into milestones. I agree that although it would be
> nice to time things (set a schedule), it would also be hard since we
> have very (VERY) few people who can work on E17 on a daily basis
> giving in solid hours every (other) day.

yup. thus N tasks to complete and dependencies will do just that for you. the
tasks are in TODO. just no order for them or dependency info.

> What I want us to try to get to is a point where we can associate
> milestones with release candidates of some sort, and a final release
> for the last milestone. When we have something like that going we'll
> not only feel like we're getting somewhere, but we can have snapshots
> / announcements on the ML and let people feel like we're approaching a
> final release.
>
> So at this point, the next task is to create those milestones,
> associate them with release candidates, split up the TODO items
> between them, and just hack hack hack at them.

hmm - for me a release candidate - ie first one being "alpha" would be all our
feature todo items done. we are down to bugs (and maybe some spit and polish
on dialog layouts, theme, etc.). thats alpha. beta is spit and polish stuff
improved and most bugs gone if not all. and RC1,2,3 come after that based on
more bug feedback etc. etc. once we get down to a very small # of bugs (eg 0)
we do a release.