On Jan 18, 2008 10:41 PM, Ben Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 22:27 -0300, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:

> > > That last one will be my fallback position of adding the needed stuff
> > > into glib2 becomes to hard / difficult.
> >
> > If we could add these primitives and write one on the top of the
> > other, then we could even try to get EFL approved as "glib-friend"
> > under the Gnome foundation, specially on GMAE (Gnome Mobile), this
> > would bring us more developers and even companies. It's nothing more
> > than words/marketing, but it helps a lot in the end... right now they
> > just have Cairo (vectorial, slow) and Clutter (3d-oriented, good with
> > hw-accel but the name can say about software performance...). Evas can
> > fit perfectly in the hole of "fast 2d graphics/canvas". Edje is also
> > unmatched by existing software.
> >

> I'm not too sure about the "glib-friend" branding having too much
> meaning... but I'm not a CTO ;p Since gevas has been available for quite
> a while, admittedly only allowing edje/gtk2 integration but no companies
> (that have contacted me anyway) have been racing in to help advance
> gevas. If the glib-friend status was really that sort of road block to
> corporate adoption then surely one would have stood up to buy that
> branding for gevas.

Well, I'm working at INdT and doing EFL for Maemo, a GTK-device and I
can tell how difficult is to have people _look_ at non-Gnome
technology. Non-tech people (managers) often buy buzzwords and they
want to believe some things. You have to write code, show, push...
push... push... NOTE: I'm NOT talking about INdT here, but others
companies. INdT is a non-profit research center focused on Nokia, so
it's easy for us.

I heard from 2 companies with M in the name (moto and marvell)
_INFORMAL_ requests to get EFL into GMAE so they can sell it to their
managers more easy, phrase was somehow like: "We already convinced
them to use Gnome tech (GMAE), I don't care what is there, it's
approved, if you put this wonderful tech there we can use it,
otherwise we need to get yet-another-approval", this was after my talk
at ELCE-2007

At first we were to use Gevas, but it was a bit unmaintained, then we
opted to drop Glib completely and use just EFL + Python, this proved
to be a sane decision :-)

> But it would seem that gevas fits in well on meamo where they want you
> to use their gtk2 stuff to appear like other maemo apps with tabs etc.
> So being able to take advantage of evas+ecore while having all the
> normal trappings of a maemo app might be quite nice.

We're pushing a whole-evas UI and being successful. Admittedly iPhone
helped _a lot_ here. We were using ETK with custom theme to make
regular GUI widgets, but we're now moving for an all-edje solution
with great success.

What I see is _NOT_ people trying to use EFL with GTK. People are
really losing hope of the toolkit itself, and the requirements for
such "form-focused" toolkits (unless you're doing some POS, ERP, ...).
What people want is the Gnome stack, things that integrate "nicely"
with your app, like the tons of libraries they provide (libsoup for
http/xml/soap, gnomevfs, gstreamer,  telepathy, libpurple, various
parsers, integrations, ...).

> But first things first... must, get, device.

Did you try the developer's program?

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri