On Jan 18, 2008 10:21 PM, Ben Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-01-19 at 10:21 +1100, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
>
> > while i have nothing against adding locks on primitives - if we do it in one
> > place (ecore) we will need to start doing it everywhere. locks will add
> > overhead. those on limited computing (embedded devices) will feel it most.
> > also
> > if we look at the work needed to add it everywhere - that's not a small
> > undertaking at all. i have decided in the past not to bother as gustavo put
> > this clearly - i kind of expect people to have threads do entirely
> > independent
> > things outside the main gui thread and communicate back cleanly via pipes -
> > glib expects people to use threads with glib and has primitives for making
> > them
> > interact directly with the main loop from a thread. different design
> > approaches
> > there.
> >
> > right now i (personally) thing the best way to integrate is to have ecore
> > main
> > loop and glib main loop run in separate threads, with them communicating via
> > pipes used to glue them together. maybe some pipe wrapping/handling stuff in
> > ecore might help with this?
> >

> That last one will be my fallback position of adding the needed stuff
> into glib2 becomes to hard / difficult.

If we could add these primitives and write one on the top of the
other, then we could even try to get EFL approved as "glib-friend"
under the Gnome foundation, specially on GMAE (Gnome Mobile), this
would bring us more developers and even companies. It's nothing more
than words/marketing, but it helps a lot in the end... right now they
just have Cairo (vectorial, slow) and Clutter (3d-oriented, good with
hw-accel but the name can say about software performance...). Evas can
fit perfectly in the hole of "fast 2d graphics/canvas". Edje is also
unmatched by existing software.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri