On 30/07/2008, Jose Gonzalez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [...]
> > the fact that, today, we should have an evas 3.*, and not 0.9...
> >
> > * ecore: Cedric wants to reorganize some stuff in ecore_evas. Also data
> > types.
> > See next point
> >
> > * evas and ecore: data types. The problem is that it will break abi if we
> > change the data types. See below for a "solution"
> >
> > * edje: except the problem of data types, I don't see any major flaw.
> >
> > * efreet and e_dbus: I don't know much about them. They are used with e17
> > without problem. Cedric told me that he wanted to speed up efreet.
> > There is the
> > problem of data types, though.
> >
> > The problem with data types is that it will break ABI and API. So we
> > must decide
> > if we release with or without the change in data types.
> >
> > A solution is to "release" with number version 0.10 (current version number
> > is
> > 0.9.9) without data type changes and warns that there will be big changes
> > for
> > 1.0.
> >
> > 2) A release manager must be named. What he should do:
> >
> > * decide which library may be released because of a certain amount of
> > important
> > bugs have been fixed. Of course, this should be discussed in the ML for
> > example.
> >
> > * sent mails to warn about pre-releases (in that period, only bug fixes
> > and doc
> > changes are allowed. Maybe other things i can't think of.) and releases
> >
> > * of course, provide the tar balls for pre-releases and releases
> >
> > * maybe add news on some sites like osnews, /., freshmeat or phoronix
> >

> > Even if there are 0.10 releases before a 1.0, the fact that we announce such
> > release is a good thing. As an example, Kim is doing e16 releases
> > periodically.
> > Each time one is done, a user announce that on osnews. And i often read
> > in those
> > news that people are happy to see that e16 is still maintained.
> >
> > Comments, ideas ?
> >
> > Vincent
> >

>      It's good to see such attempts and I hope they continue. I'd also like to
> applaud Carsten for taking the high-road, and I hope that E can become a more
> inclusive project able to honestly embrace differences, attract developers,
> and
> work with others.
>
>      As to the above mentioned steps.. I disagree with some of the arguments,
> but they are also not unreasonable - so long as everyone realizes that the
> state
> of many things in E is still rather basic and are willing to 'break' apis on
> major releases when they bring good improvements.. E is still small enough
> that
> it can be fluid if it wants to.
>
>      But, one very important thing to consider here is: What exactly is it
> that
> E wants to achieve? What are the basic 'large' goals?

Thats a funny one, because a lot of people say "Oh, E17 isnt as good
as Gnome... or KDE" when its not completely a desktop environmant like
those 2. It has a lot of the mechanics of a full DE and being so
modular, could fill the things needed to become a full DE from that
point. (And then you ask, whats the difference between what E17 is now
and a full DE?!? I dont know. Ask wikipedia or something.) If it was
competeing souly against WMs like fluxbox and friends, then thats
already done and kicking ass.

If anything, it might be an idea to ask people, what 'needs' to be
done? I see a few people on IRC and on forums saying, "E17 is good,
but its just not finished/has bits missing". Some lusers go as far to
say "Err E17 is buggy and not stable! Waa" simply becuase there isnt a
1.0 release.

Toma