Toma wrote:

>>>      I'm not sure I follow some of this. There are many different things
>>> that
>>> "E" could do or become, it's not just a question of what the
>>> wm/desktop-shell
>>> could do/be, or even what a desktop environment of some sort could do/be.
>>>      There are questions of development 'platforms', what they might be
>>> geared
>>> to develop, what they might emphasize, and such... and there are questions
>>> of
>>> what kinds of apps or further libs or frameworks people might want to build
>>> beyond that, to create some sort of coherent 'environment(s)' and such.
>>>      If you're going to "ask people", then it depends who these people are
>>> and what kind of audience they are: end-users of apps? end-users of desktop
>>> environments/shells/whatnot? theme designers (of what)? developers of apps?
>>> "rich" app developers? etc.
>>>

>>      Forgot to mention a few other relevant ones: developers of web
>> apis/services?
>> developers of gfx/canvas libs? developers of gui toolkits? ...
>>
>>      My questions were directed at the audience consisting of all "E"
>> developers. :)
>>

> Yes... I mean ask the general random normal desktop users that wander
> into #e on freenode and ask those kind of questions. After all, theyre
> the ones that want to use E17. I think developers tend to think like
> developers and dont tend to see the importance of mundane little
> things that the average Joe likes/wants. Thats why companies employ
> market researchers to see whats needed and wanted. Im not saying E
> needs anyone dedicated to market research, but its something to keep
> in mind. Personally, I made a couple black themes then people said
> "You should try making a light theme", so I made Edjy and Cerium.
> Thats an exmaple of listening to the 'market'.

      Ok, sure. But in the case of developers that are building things like
a gfx lib or a gui toolkit, then their "market" might be other developers,
not directly end-users-of-some-app.

> Having said that, I see alot of enthusiasm on random tech forums for
> EFL and you could see the reaction on the aMSN forums when you
> compared EFL directly to EFL. People scrambled to get EFL installed

      Errr.. I'm not sure I follow you here, but I guess this is a good thing?

> and were really impressed by how it looked. The biggest problem
> everyone had (including myself) was building the libraries needed, and
> I dare say would have been a lot easier if there was a packages
> release of EFL-Python and all its deps.
>
> So maybe a more steady snapshot schedule and perhaps a couple days of
> *Bug Extermination* before those snapshots so developers and users a
> like can access it all a little easier?
>
> Toma

      Maybe what you're trying to get at here is the issue of releasing the
libs that Vincent and Nathan pointed to, or some of them, and e17 as well.

      I personally don't think evas, ecore, edje are ready for 'release' in the
sense of them being so stable that further near-future changes wouldn't break
anything. Not near really.
      However, that doesn't mean they couldn't be released as they are, and
leave
such changes for a future version of those libs. But then I'm not the
maintainer(s)
of those libs, and they may disagree with me.