On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 20:33:38 -0300 Eduardo Felipe <eduardofelip...@gmail.com>
said:

> > this is a fundamental issue with lua upstream. they simply don't want to
> > join the modern world. if you want to use lua upstream directly-as-is...
> > you will continue to have such problems. i know i'm in no mood to work
> > around such silliness. ALL they need to do is provide a .pc file - a single
> > tiny text file. the work has already been done for them by several linux
> > distributions. it gets patched to provide this file and to also build
> > shared libraries (.so's vs .a's).
> > as such my suggestion is to find and adopt the patches applied by linux
> > distributions to your lua install. sanity will then be restored.
>
> What about adding the lua source as a single file in Edje? It's pretty

"hell no". :) this is the kind of mess i dont want to have.

> common for projects to do that, since Edje is not supposed to run
> arbitrary Lua scripts, why bother having that as a dependency?

they may do it... efl standards are higher than that :)

> By design Lua is an embeddable language/runtime. A trimmed version
> without some libs that aren't enabled can be around 90k. Edje itself
> weights around 600k on my system.
>
> Again, just a thought. They are not "refusing to join the modern
> world". It's you that are choosing not to follow their guidelines and
> embed lua ;)

they are refusing - every distro i see patches lua. if you have 20 apps/libs on
your system all use the same lua - you have 20 copies of it. if it has a bug
all 20 need rebuilding and updating. i know it's their guidelines. the
guidelines are misguided. if i want it statically compiled into my app/lib - i
have a choice. if i want to share the same implementation with everyone else on
the system and get bug and security fixes for free with no further effort on my
part, i can link dynamically to the .so. the modern world on linux uses .pc
files to indicate how to link and compile with a given shared lib - even if it
doesnt provide a .so - distros often rename liblua so u can get a specific
version. lua 4.0 is incompatible with 5.1 for example - i need to specifically
chose the lua i am compatible with (ad otherwise code will break) so it may
become -lliba51 or -llua or -llua-5.1 or -llua-51.... the .pc tells you what
they did and what directory it's in (the -L) and adds the include flags (-I)
etc. without having to go through a whole lot of guessing. it's a tiny text
file - so any claims of "my god an extra file will bloat the distribution" are
just wrong. it is harmless and useful. it's a modern mechanism. lua doesn't
provide it. it actually seems to refuse to do it. it's not a matter of "we just
havent gotten to it, or had the time etc.". :)