On Thu, 08 Jun 2017 18:17:32 +0000 Andrew Williams <a...@andywilliams.me> said:

> Hi team,
>
> I get that the server itself is not problematic but can we please agree
> that redundancy would be a good thing?
> There is no way that we should be comfortable with a single issue be able
> to take out our entire infrastructure.

redundancy (mirrored to another machine) is simply not possible. it would
require then we have to keep in sync multiple git servers, mysql db's and that
synchronisation would be broken when things go slow so any backup would have
different data and we'd have a nightmare to reconcile things. we have full data
redundancy at the filesystem/block layer (raid mirroring). the entire infra is
not down. the host is still running just fine (e5).

if we move some services to new hosts, that means then you just have some
things broken. if git still runs on e5 then git is down. whatever runs there
will be down. moving everything is the same effort - in fact more, as fixing
things to move to containers. and it's now far riskier a it will become
expensive as people have to pay for that hosting.

so NO. no moving to other systems. it's not a solution. it's sticking your head
in the sand and not resolving the issue we have.

not a single person here ever says "hey - i'll help migrate it to a container
on e5 and figure it out". it's always "hey hey - come over here and use the
vm/container/whatever hosting provider i already use".

e.org was stable as all hell when it was simple. it was a single machine (with
a spare we just never used because the main system never went down). it had no
vm's. no containers. it just ran everything on a single shared system. it
worked a charm. it had no performance issues (other than it wasn't going to
have the spare grunt to run a CI/build server e.g. jenkins). our reason for a
new system was to be able to do CI builds and support and fear that our old
machine would die (our drives were not raided at all back then)...

i'm also getting impatient. at e dev day in 2 weeks lets sort this out and
actually get something done there and then. tbh i think at this point this is
more important than just about any other topic there... and not to just talk
about, but to actually do immediately. if a few people sit around converting
what we have into something simpler (docker images? something else?) and beber
helps get it set up and goes over what is set up and why so we all understand
better how it's glued together...