I am looking for a window manager to use with gnome, because metacity is
horrible.  I'm currently giving enlightenment a try, but have hit some
stumbling blocks.

Many of the actions defined for the root window do not work when
nautilus is running.  For example, the scroll wheel does not cycle
through desktops, and the left mouse button menus do not work.  The
middle mouse button menus work fine. If I kill nautilus, they all work
fine.  Is there any way to get root window events to work in the desktop
context?

I was working on making my own keybindings, and had it working for a
while.  I didn't know what the possible actions were and couldn't find
any docs.  I installed e16keyedit and played with that for a while.  I
didn't care for it so I removed it.  But now enlightenment won't listen
to my keybindings.  I can change, add, or remove keybindings in my
~/.enlightenment/keybindings.cfg but they will not change.  I tried
restarting enlightenment and logging out and back in. If I put an error
in the file, it complains about it though.  My theory is that e16keyedit
did something that is overriding my keybindings.   Any idea how to fix
it?

I use the gnome workspace switcher to manage my desktops.  I use 10
desktops in a 5x2 arrangement.  Gnome has functions for going to the
desktop left, right, above, or below the current one.  I cannot find a
way to do that with enlightenment.  With fvwm, I can fake it by using
'GotoDesk -5 0 0 9' to go to the desktop above the current one.  I could
write a shell script that uses eesh to get the current desktop,
calculate where to go, and then set the desktop.  That seems like the
hard, and slow, way to do it.  Is there any way to do this cleanly in
the keybindings.cfg file?

Lastly, is there any documentation on the language used in the
keybindings.cfg file?  I wasn't able to find any.  I had to poke around
in the source to find some things out, but I don't feel like I have a
complete grasp of what is possible.