On Saturday 08 Feb 2014 11:34:34 Jesús J. Guerrero Botella wrote:
> Hi again.
>
> Well, e18, as you presumed, booted "fine", meaning that at least I got to
> the desktop.
>
> The performance was not good though I guess that can be fine tuned. But
> there were other more serious problems though. I had to restart e18 a few
> times after disabling some plugins that come preconfigured and that I
> haven't installed (accessibility, network manager, keyboard settings and
> that kind of stuff, nothing important).

Have you installed the packages that I suggested and in the order I listed
them?

If not, then please do so before we troubleshoot further.

> After three restarts the systray wasn't working, that's not vital though.

The systray can be enabled/disabled.  It works fine here with some kde apps,
as well as pidgin, etc.

> So e18 freezes, and e17 doesn't work at all with an r300 chip, which is one
> of the better supported chips under xorg. Are there any known
> incompatibilities between e18 and radeon chips?

I run a couple of radeon cards with e18 and I have had no such problems.  I
also have an old R200 which runs fine (although it accelerates the graphics in
software and therefore it is a bit old).

> I'd like to know what's the
> suggested setup for this kind of video card but I really don't know where
> to start looking, given that this kind of lock won't even allow for a core
> dump and the last e18 log is empty.
>
> Of course, for e18 to be able to hard freeze the machine, there must be a
> codepath in ksm, radeon, mesa, et al that permits this, but I can't see I
> have seen this behavior in any other WM, opengl application or standalone
> compositor.

If you are using the ATI proprietary drivers for your radeon card then I am
not surprised that things fall apart.  You have to try the radeon open source
drivers.  This may help to get you going:

  http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/ati-migration-guide.xml

--
Regards,
Mick