On Sat, 8 Feb 2014 12:34:34 +0100 Jesús J. Guerrero Botella
<jesus.guerrero.bote...@gmail.com> said:

> Hi again.
>
> Well, e18, as you presumed, booted "fine", meaning that at least I got to
> the desktop.
>
> The performance was not good though I guess that can be fine tuned. But
> there were other more serious problems though. I had to restart e18 a few
> times after disabling some plugins that come preconfigured and that I
> haven't installed (accessibility, network manager, keyboard settings and
> that kind of stuff, nothing important).
>
> After three restarts the systray wasn't working, that's not vital though.
> But for some reason, on the next restart e18 didn't come up. My
> applications where there but without window border. The panel didn't appear
> either. I closed X and went back to vt1 and discovered that three
> enlightenment processes remained there, along with 4 instances of the e18
> temperature sensor applet (X had been killed, whey they survived would be a
> good question).
>
> Anyway... I killed all that stuff, restarted e18, and this time it just
> froze my machine and I had to hard-reboot. Not even the SysRq kernel
> keycombo was working.
>
> So e18 freezes, and e17 doesn't work at all with an r300 chip, which is one
> of the better supported chips under xorg. Are there any known
> incompatibilities between e18 and radeon chips? I'd like to know what's the
> suggested setup for this kind of video card but I really don't know where
> to start looking, given that this kind of lock won't even allow for a core
> dump and the last e18 log is empty.
>
> Of course, for e18 to be able to hard freeze the machine, there must be a
> codepath in ksm, radeon, mesa, et al that permits this, but I can't see I
> have seen this behavior in any other WM, opengl application or standalone
> compositor.
>
> So, any tip is welcome. :)

actually the ati chips are not one of the better supported. i have had NO end
of trouble with them. slowness, bugs, freezing etc. fglrx ati drivers were the
culprit at the time with the open drivers simply not working for me at all
(zero display). so as per this thread.. yes - userspace should not be able to
bring machines down like this...

UNLESS the drivers have major bugs. and they do. i solved my problems by never
touching an ati chip again. that was my solution, but let me just disabuse you
of the image that ati chips (eg r300) are so well supported and solid. in my
experience, they are not. the fact that sysreq wouldn't even work is a big
hint... your drivers have problems. it just so happens that e is tickling them.

people do say the newer radeon open source drivers work well, but i've never
gone back after my horrible experiences. i stick to intel or nvidia (with
nvidia drivers and one test machine with nouveau) and i don't see anything
close to the problems you see there.

so my tip is... avoid fglrx like the plague and try new radeon drivers, and
even then... just change gpu's. also be aware the r300 is from memory an old
old old gpu. it may simply not work with compositing and opengl. evas needs
opengl2.0 support (full glsl shader support for fragment and vertex shaders).
so without this it will fall back to software compositing. depending on your
cpu, gfx drivers, memory bus architecture, location of gpu on the mem bus etc.
this may or may not work well for you. given the abysmal readback speeds i saw
with fglrx back in the day, the compositor in sw mode relies on readback for
any updates... and this will hurt badly. all the reading back from pixmaps plus
writing to them may be tickling your driver bugs too.