On Sat, 8 Feb 2014 15:52:38 +0100 Jesús J. Guerrero Botella
<jesus.guerrero.bote...@gmail.com> said:

> @Alan McKinnon and @Mick, I will double check that, though I've had my
> amount og Gentoo during more than a decade and I highly doubt that
> leftovers and ABI breakage are an issue in this concrete case.
>
> @Karsten Haitzler, if you can give me some hint on what and how to look,
> I'm willing to do so. I have some gdb-foo. But if the only way to solve the
> bug is to buy a new laptop, then we're stuck.

if you're getting system hard locks - no amount of gdbing is going to help
you. :) trying a driver that is more stable - switch to traditional from
gallium maybe?

> I perfectly know that for this to happen, there must be a code path to it
> in the kernel, up to X And the driver, mesa, the toolkit, and, finally, the
> application. Even if it's an unconventional path (probably the case,
> because as said no other software failed this way, ever). But, please,
> don't tell me nouveau is perfect and never freezes, because I've seen it
> fail in ways that are more colourful than a kaleidoscope.

never said nouveau is perfect. i use it only on 1 test box. i use the nvidia
drivers primarily on 1 workstation, and intel on most of my others.