First a disclaimer: I Love Enlightenment and use it as my main
workstation OS. While I only started using it full-time last year, I
have been following it's development since 1997. As things stand, I
would not want to use another system.

The ugly and awful truth from my perspective: yes, Enlightenment is
ugly. However, ugly is misinterpreted as awful. Compounding the problem
is that Enlightenment is extraordinarily complex. I would venture to
guess that easily 99% of people who try Enlightenment give up on it
after less than two-hours. As all distros\WMs\DEs have a strong tendency
to troll one another to different degrees, users in all groups
universally troll against Enlightenment. I see it almost everyday.

What is the difference with me? I could not possibly care less about the
aesthetics of a user interface. It is what I can do with it that counts
- how I can arrange my workflow. In that respect, Enlightenment is the
most powerful environment available. My most favorite features is the
ability to tell one of my displays to be a tiling WM. It is not merely
the ability but the incredibly well thought out way it is designed. Of
course, if you are a new user, you may never know the functionality
exists since one must (comparatively) dig through a mountain of settings
to find it. There are numerous other interface features to Enlightenment
that I love, and when made to work together simply cannot be found
anywhere else - not even close. But the settings are another barrier to
entry. If you are not immediately turned off by Enlightenment's looks,
browsing through the settings will send most running. When everything is
approached at once through the settings panel, for many it is like
trying to chisel a tunnel through the moon with a hammer. Some of the
best settings are labeled in non-intuitive ways, and so are never
explored. To this day, there are settings that even I don't know what
they do. I fully appreciate why that may not be apparent to developers
and long time users.

I have long played with the thought that perhaps there should be a
secondary, not so super-scary version of Enlightenment for "regular
Linux users". This would have to have a default interface with highly
refined aesthetics and functional defaults.  It would also have to
utterly gut the settings panel, of... most things. Basically a stupid
version of Enlightenment. I think it could actually be popular, but I do
not feel it is my place to champion such an idea. Further, it would
double the complexity of development, and I want to make sure *MY* ugly,
super-complicated, ultra-functional version of Enlightenment continues
to exist. I LOVE it the way it is. So I suppose I am actually against
the idea. Just the other day, I was on the elementary OS (polar opposite
of Enlightenment) Google+ board where I am very active since that's the
distro I put on other peoples computers. We were discussing the upcoming
tiling windows manager plugin for elementary OS. I mentioned that I use
Bodhi and briefly discussed its tiling feature. Of course, the hate
descended. My next to the last post on the matter reads as follows and I
think is most poignant:

"This is true. However, I care absolutely nothing about aesthetics. ( I
was desensitized after working with mainframes a long time ago) So in my
case, ugliness does not interfere with my user experience as it does
with others, and I don't mind extreme configuration. If elementary OS
was extremely ugly but otherwise had the interface features I like about
it, I would still love it just as much. Although I would not recommend
it, let only install it on other peoples computers as I otherwise do.
Much the same, I never ever recommend Bodhi or Enlightenment in general
to anyone under any circumstances."

You asked,

William