Jeff,

mk is actually on to something. I grew up with a dad who was a research
and development chemist. He specialized in... color. As a conseqence I
heard a lot about it and got roped into doing a couple science fairs
relating to the subject of color. As ironic as it is, I am an unusual
individual as I quite literally do not understand the concept of
"favorite color" I have no preference for any one over the other, which
is why (as I stated earlier) really don't care about aesthetics at all.
Apparently this is uncommon and puts me in a small statistical minority.
Google "psychology of color" or "color psychology" to get an idea of how
color usage affects people. From what the world has to say about it,
it's important enough to make a difference. Although from what I
understand there is a difference in the way colors are used in an
interactive, changing interface as opposed to a static wall or business
card or some such thing.