Solved for e17 anyway, thanks to Markus' diligence.

I ran up Synaptic and installed udisks (udisks2 and libudisks2-0 were
already installed, and I think I added libudisks2-dev yesterday in the
course of experimentation. But udisks wanted liblvm2app2.2 and
libsgutils2-2 as dependencies so they got installed as well. Rebooted,
and now the expected icon pops up when I insert a USB drive. Yay.

It's not possible to say without knowing the code, exactly which part of
which package is responsible, as all three were installed together.

Can someone add a formal note to the docs that these three packages are
essential to e17, otherwise no-one can insert a USB drive and use it?
Maybe even make it a proper dependency, even at this late stage, as that
might trigger the maintainers of the e17 deb to rebuild it for use.

///Peter