On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 10:05:16AM -0500, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 12, 2017 at 09:18:24AM -0800, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 12, 2017 at 11:47:52AM -0500, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
> > > Do you have old installations of EFL lying around?  This sounds like a
> > > conflicting version of some library is being used.
> >
> > I did have one, but think I had removed it.
> > ii  efl                        1.10.2.b-1         amd64              efl
> > I guess I can try again, but aren't library versions supposed to prevent the
> > wrong library with the wrong symbols from being used should 2 versions be
> > installed at the same time?
>
> Yes, but since all of the EFL releases have soname 1, they're
> indistinguishable to the linker.  Raster's advice is always to remove
> stray installations when mysterious crashes happen, and he's almost
> always been right.

Mmmh, that's bad news. The whole point of sonames is to avoid all these
problems and let the computer find them for you :(
It's a bit like saying "oh, you tried to upgrade, yeah, that's kind of
risky, it's always better to wipe and re-install from scratch".
Not blaming you for the message, clearly it's the correct state of
affairs, just complaining that it shouldn't be :)

> > If you install and load the .Xmodmap attached, does enlightenment work
> > ok for you?
> > Can you type right alt e and get é, and then things work ok afterwards?
> > ( xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap )
>
> Worked for me - I don't understand how mode switch works, so I couldn't
> type i or e anymore, but that's probably my ignorance.  E didn't mind at
> all, or even seem to notice.

So, you can type e, then you type right alt + e, and get é, and when you
release right alt, do you get e again?
If you get é forever after typing right alt once (which indeed is what I
saw), that's a showstopper bug that will stop me from upgrading.
If you were stuck with typing é even though you weren't touching the alt
key anymore, how did you recover?

> > Good guess, I do have a trackpoint (thinkpad)
> > I am not going to tell you how stupid it is to change this suddenly since
> > it's not E's fault, but this is ridiculous :(
> > (because you know, no one uses the middle button on linux)
>
> I agree, it's a frustrating default for unix-like WM + trackpoint users.
> libinput expects the desktop env to give the user config control for the
> input devices.  In Gnome, you'd change the config for your trackpoint
> once and be done with it.  E lacks that piece, so you gotta do it
> yourself.

Understood, thanks for that piece of info, I'd likely have had a hard
time finding it without your help.

Thanks,
Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....