On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 06:54:20PM -0500, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 10:44:52AM -0800, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> > So, you can type e, then you type right alt + e, and get é, and when you
> > release right alt, do you get e again?
> > If you get é forever after typing right alt once (which indeed is what I
> > saw), that's a showstopper bug that will stop me from upgrading.
>
> If I hold right alt and press e, I get "é".  If I then release right alt
> and press e, I get "e".  But, if I hold right alt and press e multiple
> times, the e key gets "stuck" to whichever choice I last released on.  I
> can fix by getting stuck on unadorned e.
>
> That behavior is identical under fvwm.

Mmmh, so it may be an input library that e depends on and not e's fault
per se?
I reverted to e18, and right alt+e works fine for me again, as it has
for years.

> But - something about loading keymaps is confusing E in a bad way.
> While xmodmap runs, I see no screen updates.  Each time I run xmodmap,
>
> ERR<2190>:ecore_x lib/ecore_x/xlib/ecore_x.c:305 _ecore_x_modifiers_get()
> ALTGR conflicts with other modifiers. IGNORE ALTGR

That message I think is an expected warning, but e shouldn't hang of
course.

> > If you were stuck with typing é even though you weren't touching the alt
> > key anymore, how did you recover?
>
> Just in case, I did "xmodmap -pke > ~/my.xmodmap" first, and then ran it
> out of my history.  Only need backspace to turn that into a load. :)

fair enough :)

Anyway, thanks much for the test. There clearly seems to be something
that broke, but we're not quite sure why, especially if it fails under
fvwm too for you (which is most puzzling)

Thanks,
Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/                         | PGP 1024R/763BE901