On 03/11/2018 18:28, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 03, 2018 at 05:19:13PM +0000, Peter Flynn wrote:
>> On 03/11/2018 11:49, Peter Flynn wrote:
>> [...]
>>> That seems to be clean, but /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache
>>> isn't. Can I just delete it manually, or is there a procedure to flush
>>> it out?
>>
>> I just edited it and removed the bogus association for GIMP.
>
> See update-desktop-database(1) for more info on what generates these.

Thanks for the pointer. Now I can see where it came from.

>> All working fine (but of course I have no idea what random application
>> was the cause). Many applications make a land-grab for their pet MIME
>> media-type and happily stomp on the associations that a user prefers.
>
> Apps list their supported mime types in their .desktop file.  That's how file
> managers get a reasonable list of apps that support a given file.  So gimp
> gets
> associated with application/pdf since gimp's .desktop file indicates that it
> can handle PDFs.

It's a matter of degree, and update-desktop-database cannot possibly
know when an application is being economical with the truth.

GIMP only "supports" PDF and Postscript in the sense that it can import
a page as a bitmap. GIMP cannot "open" a PDF or Postscript file in the
normal sense of the word.

I have edited the gimp.desktop files in both locations and removed the
application/pdf and application/postscript to prevent the problem
reoccurring.

> In an E session, does your env have XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=enlightenment?

Yes, but it's capitalised (Enlightenment).

> If not, xdg-open may be falling back to a handler that doesn't pick
> up your Enlightenment config.

That was certainly a problem in earlier versions of xdg-open but I think
so many people complained that they fixed it. The code now tests for
both ENLIGHTENMENT and Enlightenment but not enlightenment.

///Peter