On 01/15/2014 04:26 PM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> On 01/15/2014 12:16 AM, Bohuslav Kabrda wrote:
>>

>>     On 14 January 2014 09:57, Orion Poplawski <or...@cora.nwra.com
>>     <mailto:or...@cora.nwra.com>> wrote:
>>
>>         It seems like it would be nice to have python 3 in EPEL 7.  Anyone
>>         willing to
>>         maintain it there?
>>
>>         It seems to build fine:
>>
>> http://copr-fe.cloud.fedoraproject.org/coprs/orion/Python3_EPEL7/builds/
>>

>>     Well  a couple of other things would be needed beyond just maintenance:
>>
>>     1) Does providing python-3.4 mean that 3.4 will be the only python every
>>     provided by EPEL?
>>     2) If it doesn't then how are upgrades from 3.4 to 3.5 to 3.6 going to be
>>     handled?
>>
>>     --
>>     Stephen J Smoogen.
>>

>> Well the problem is that once you provide a build for EPEL, you shouldn't
>> really do major updates [1], so it seems we would be stuck with whatever we
>> build for 10+ years. I don't like that very much. We could probably do
>> python3.4, python3.5 etc, but that'd probably require some modifications to
>> dependency generators, etc... I'm not going to stay in anyones way to do
>> this,
>> but I won't do it myself.
>>
>> Slavek.
>>
>> [1]
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/GuidelinesAndPolicies#A_major_version_update
>>

> Well, quite frankly, I think anyone expecting 10 years of support for EPEL
> packages is deluding themselves, some specific packages excepted.  Users of
> EPEL are probably best served by upgrading to newer versions of EL as soon as
> practical.
>
> My recommendation would be to ship python 3.4 as a "normal" python3 package.
> The python folks appear to be committed to providing 5 years of security fixes
> for a release.  This seems to be as long can be reasonably expected of EPEL.
>
> Perhaps as time goes by, it may make sense to package a later python3.X
> version if people really want to.

This thread appears to have gone off on a lot of tangents.  Getting back to
the original questions:

- Shall we build python 3.4 as python3 in EPEL7 when it is released?
- Anyone willing to maintain it?
- I see that 3.4.0 beta 2 is out, time to get it into rawhide at least?

Thanks.

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                       or...@nwra.com