----- Original Message -----
> On 01/15/2014 04:26 PM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> > On 01/15/2014 12:16 AM, Bohuslav Kabrda wrote:
> >>

> >>     On 14 January 2014 09:57, Orion Poplawski <or...@cora.nwra.com
> >>     <mailto:or...@cora.nwra.com>> wrote:
> >>
> >>         It seems like it would be nice to have python 3 in EPEL 7.  Anyone
> >>         willing to
> >>         maintain it there?
> >>
> >>         It seems to build fine:
> >>
> >> http://copr-fe.cloud.fedoraproject.org/coprs/orion/Python3_EPEL7/builds/
> >>

> >>     Well  a couple of other things would be needed beyond just
> >>     maintenance:
> >>
> >>     1) Does providing python-3.4 mean that 3.4 will be the only python
> >>     every
> >>     provided by EPEL?
> >>     2) If it doesn't then how are upgrades from 3.4 to 3.5 to 3.6 going to
> >>     be
> >>     handled?
> >>
> >>     --
> >>     Stephen J Smoogen.
> >>

> >> Well the problem is that once you provide a build for EPEL, you shouldn't
> >> really do major updates [1], so it seems we would be stuck with whatever
> >> we
> >> build for 10+ years. I don't like that very much. We could probably do
> >> python3.4, python3.5 etc, but that'd probably require some modifications
> >> dependency generators, etc... I'm not going to stay in anyones way to do
> >> this,
> >> but I won't do it myself.
> >>
> >> Slavek.
> >>
> >> [1]
> >> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/GuidelinesAndPolicies#A_major_version_update
> >>

> > Well, quite frankly, I think anyone expecting 10 years of support for EPEL
> > packages is deluding themselves, some specific packages excepted.  Users of
> > EPEL are probably best served by upgrading to newer versions of EL as soon
> > as
> > practical.
> >
> > My recommendation would be to ship python 3.4 as a "normal" python3
> > package.
> > The python folks appear to be committed to providing 5 years of security
> > fixes
> > for a release.  This seems to be as long can be reasonably expected of
> > EPEL.
> >
> > Perhaps as time goes by, it may make sense to package a later python3.X
> > version if people really want to.
> >

> This thread appears to have gone off on a lot of tangents.  Getting back to
> the original questions:
>
> - Shall we build python 3.4 as python3 in EPEL7 when it is released?
> - Anyone willing to maintain it?

As I've noted previously, I won't stand in anyone's way, but I'm not going to
maintain Python 3 in EPEL 7 myself.

> - I see that 3.4.0 beta 2 is out, time to get it into rawhide at least?

There is a Change proposal for that at [1] and it's a work in progress. The
thing that is holding me back is handling the ensurepip script. I already have
an experimental solution, but I have to verify that it works under all possible
circumstances, first. Also, the Change states that I'll build 3.4 for Rawhide
only if "reasonably small amount of non-essential packages doesn't build/work
with Python 3.4", which I haven't had time to test so far.

> Thanks.

Slavek.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Python_3.4