On Oct 27, 2007, at 8:00 AM, Scott Elcomb wrote:

Hi all,

First off, I'd like to say thanks for all the good questions and
answers from folks on the list.  I haven't been here long, but have
already learned a bunch.  Looking forward to ES4.

Thanks. Here's hoping ES4 as proposed is not quashed by the combination of anonymous propaganda campaigns and truly-secret maneuverings within the standards body by the pay-to-play members (Mozilla is not one; we don't have that access).

What follows below are my opinions, presented bluntly as ever. This is long, but evidently necessary and appropriate to es4-discuss. I'll blog about the situation soon too.

Anyway, I received this post* this morning in response to a notice I
sent along about the ES4 overview.  I'm not sure what to make of the
story...

Any comments or clarifications?

A link to a slashdot anonymous posting? What's to clarify? :-/

As much as possible, those of us in Ecma TG1 actually working productively on ES4 for over two consecutive years have made our work and intentions known by means of this list, the http://ecmascript.org site, the SML reference implementation, and blog posts and public talks I've given.

In opposition, only Doug Crockford has spoken his mind forthrightly in the last several months. Good for him (I'll argue with his version of the reality elsewhere), but shame on the biggest company involved, which has not contributed at all in the open, instead leaving people with wrong impressions about its commitment to ES4.

Many people don't know where Microsoft stands, knowing only that it contributed over the years to draft ES4 proposals, implemented a variant of one such draft specification in JScript.NET, and had one of its employees (Rok Yu) contributing to TG1 work, with his name on E4X (ECMA-357) as well as ES3 and the 2003 interim ES4 draft report. Indeed, up until early this year, the rest of us in TG1 had no clear statement of dissent from Microsoft. So, who is not dealing forthrightly or openly here?

To be more fair than the opponents of ES4-as-proposed have been, I'll add this obvious reassurance: any organization or person can change position. Indeed one Microsoft rep confided to me that "we were asleep!" about what was going on with Microsoft passively participating in TG1 before this year. So let's say there was no duplicity, no playing along with the rest of TG1's long-standing work, only to reverse suddenly late in the process.

Nevertheless, standards do not require unanimity, and even Microsoft loses sometimes. That's life.

* http://article.gmane.org/gmane.org.user-groups.linux.tolug/36420

Cc'ing Walt Dnes.