I was at that presentation. It was effectively a debate between John Resig,
who works for Mozilla, and Douglas Crockford, the "concerned" ECMA member
mentioned. Bottom line is that Doug wants to have it both ways. He wants
everyone to participate and discuss the language changes, but he rails on
the majority of the committee for releasing information on what is going on
internally. The release of the white paper was extremely helpful in getting
the word out about the arcane internals of the working group. Had the paper
not been released, his "go talk about the spec and raise your concerns"
suggestion would not have been possible. /me shrugs -- Yehuda Katz <quote
author="Scott Elcomb"> Hi all, First off, I'd like to say thanks for all the
good questions and answers from folks on the list. I haven't been here long,
but have already learned a bunch. Looking forward to ES4. Anyway, I received
this post* this morning in response to a notice I sent along about the ES4
overview. I'm not sure what to make of the story... Any comments or
clarifications? *
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.org.user-groups.linux.tolug/36420 ----------
Forwarded message ---------- From: Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Date:
Oct 27, 2007 3:44 AM Subject: Re: [TLUG]: ECMAScript ("Javascript") Version
4 - FALSE ALARM To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 04:04:52PM -0400,
Scott Elcomb wrote > An official overview[1] of "Javascript 2.0" was
released today. > It will likely be some months (at least) for this version
of the > language to show up in web browsers, but it might be a good idea to
> get on-board early. Not so fast. See the note on Slashdot Firehose at
http://slashdot.org/firehose.pl?op=view&id=350409 Since it's not too long,
I'll quote it in its entirety... > "At The Ajax Experience conference, it
was announced that an > ECMAScript4 white paper had been released. The
implication being > that the white paper was the upcoming spec, which is
untrue. Not to > mention this is not an official ECMA site, but a site run
by only > some of the members from the ECMAScript4 group. These facts were >
later revealed by another concerned ECMAScript4 member. He encouraged > any
interested parties to read the proposed feature white paper, join > the
discussion mailing list on that site, and share your opinions > for (or
against) the desired features. This seems a little `cloak > and dagger` of
those running the site, who desire serious changes > and are unfortunately
Mozilla, Adobe, and others. The concerned > individual suggested that they
simply create a new language with a > new name, as there are that many
fundamental differences. Many of > us are very concerned that the language
we love is being rewritten > under our feet." -- Walter Dnes <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1 Q. Mr. Ghandi, what do
you think of Microsoft security? A. I think it would be a good idea. -- The
Toronto Linux Users Group. Meetings: http://gtalug.org/ TLUG requests: Linux
topics, No HTML, wrap text below 80 columns How to UNSUBSCRIBE:
http://gtalug.org/wiki/Mailing_lists -- Scott Elcomb
Es4-discuss mailing list
Es4-discuss@mozilla.org https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/es4-discuss</quote>