From: Kris Zyp [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 10:15 PM
To: Brendan Eich; Allen Wirfs-Brock
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; es4-discuss@mozilla.org
Subject: Re: ES3.1 Object static methods rationale document

>> Arguably, some of the need for direct prototype access is
>> alleviated by providing the clone method.  However, there are still
>> plenty of other situations where it is useful.
>
> I observe that __proto__ in SpiderMonkey- and Rhino-based JS is
> mostly used for cases covered by Object.create, with a minority use-
> case that we've discussed before initializing it to null in object
> initialisers to make maps (dictionaries).

I am curious how Object.create covers this __proto__ use case of making
objects with a defined proto. Doesn't Object.create create a new object and
copy properties over? __proto__ allows objects with existing properties to
have their proto defined in constant time, but isn't Object.create still
O(n), with n being the number of properties?

Kris