I just patched my kernel up to 2.2.16 due to the recent security
news regarding the kernel exploit. In the Slackware 7.0 distro,
there is a module for the rtl8139 NIC. The patches don't support
this card.

I downloaded the source code for the module. When I attempt to
compile the module, I get a error message to the effect that 2
include files (/usr/src/linux/include/pci_scan.h and kern_compat.h)
are missing, and the compile fails.

Does anyone know if re-compiling the kernel with "Set version
information on all symbols for modules" included will allow
the module compiled for the 2.2.13 kernel to work in the 2.2.16
version.

Would finding copies of pci_scan.h and kern_compat.h from another
distro or kernel and putting them into the include directory allow
the module to compile?

Is there a more efficient way thean either of the above?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Woody