>          I'm having a problem with a couple of other things though.
> 1.)  We have an HP 722c deskjet printer and would appreciate any hints in
> getting it to work under linux (if it will).
linuxprinting.org has been mentioned here recently, I'm quite impressed
and HP seems to be the best-supported... I just installed mandrake 7.2
and was pleased at the ease of printer setup; I haven't even tried in
about a year and a half!! it's come a long way, baby.

> 2.)   On my laptop, Kppp is able to query and see the Zoomtel pcmcia modem
> card, but when I try to connect it tells me there is no dial tone.  I am
> wondering if it'a problem with the a.) my modem card. b.) the cord running
> to the phone jack, or perhaps I don't have something set right??
I'd try the AT command set. You can run a modem-terminal program...
sorry it's too late for me to remember the name, but there's at least one
with every distro.  The AT command set is an analog-modem standard...
use "ata" to answer (you should hear a dialtone)
"atl4" turns the volume all the way up (that's L4)
"ath" hangs up...
"atdt911" dials 911 -- not a good idea, but you get the picture...

> 3.)  How do i get the laptop to not "see" the lucent tech modem embedded on
> the comp?
hmmm... I bet the answer you seek is dependent on your distro.
sorry, I 'haven't been following your thread...

good luck and stay warm, everyone!

   ben