Wayne (and LDS)

Well, as Bob brought up, if it's a PCI card, make sure that 486 motherboard has a PCI
slot.  I agree with Seth as well, $85 is a good price to sell a 486 for, but not
necessarily a good buying price.

I'd recommend getting the exact model number of the 3com nic, and verifying that it is
supported (or at least works) under linux.

You can use Mandrake as your firewall.  However, there are things mandrake has in it
that will be unnecessary on your 486 box.  Such as printing, X, cd burning, sound, mp3
players, netscape, and more.  The suggestion for those linksys nat/routers are also
good, if you don't want to put in the work to setup your own system.

Of course, since you already HAVE a current desktop running linux, a laptop and
[miscelaneous family computers], you could just add in a few things to your current
desktop and make it your firewall, without spending ANY money or making ANY hardware
configuration changes:

Plug everything in to your hub, and configure them on a private lan (10.x, 192.168.x,
etc.  The internet won't be able to reach your computers).
Recompile the kernel (mandrake's ok too), with Ip aliasing and masquerading support.
As kbob suggested, read the Firewall/IP Masquerade/Kernel howtos.
Configure your nic with two ip addresses, public and private
Get an rc.firewall script, and setup your ipchains to route between them.

Voila.  Physically, it doesn't make much sense, basically having a star configuration
with a hub in the center.  Logically it makes perfect sense.  Private computers can't
talk to the internet.  The only computer that is recognized by the university is the
one with the public IP.  The public IP guy masquerades all the others.

Physically it's a star,
                   /-->desktop 10.x.1 & real2.ip
   real.ip      /-/
     Int<---->Hub<---->laptop 10.x.2