I've been kicking around this thought I've been having today and I thought I would
throw it out here for peer review...

It seems to me that when it comes to p2p networks, and the problems file sharing is
having with the RIAA, the entire landscape of the argument could be changed in the
favor of the sharers fairly easily.

Basically what I am proposing is that file sharers use the network to spread exposure
for small, unknown artists.  These artists would then, in theory, become much more
widely known.  Perhaps even extremely well known.  This popularity should equal
success for them.  If the P2P networks are anywhere near the powerful forces that they
are made out to be, this should be very possible.  We would then have a number of
artists who owe their fame to P2P networks.  This would eliminate (or at least steal
the thunder from) the arguments that P2P hurts artists.  At the same time, ready-made
spokespersons would have been created...  I also believe our pop culture would change
for the better, but that's just me.

I think it would kind of work like this:

First, buy a CD from a local band or artists and rip into oggs.  You have just started
the trend by buying that artist a meal. =]

Then (and this needs to be a standard), name the file as you normally would, but
include some sort of universal marker designating it as a small, local artist (local
for someone anyway).  For example localA-Plaid_Toungued_Devils-Lucy.ogg.

Then, a small percentage of people need to search for "localA".  Download and listen.
If it's good, consider getting the CD of an unknown instead of M&M next time you get
the urge to buy some music.  You'll probably have to buy it online, but hey, you
already know how to use the internet, right?

If this started as a trend, one that got press, would it have a significantly
possitive result?  I don't know, I'm asking.

--TimH

--
feelin' hella good, so let's just keep on hackin'