Dave Wyatt wrote:

> We have a web server and the public is not allowed to
> access via FTp (a good thing).  It is set up so the
> web directories can be accessed from the internal
> network and one or two ip addresses from the external
> network (internet).
>
> The problem is one of the owners wants to be able to
> make changes to the site from their home DSL service
> (Rio) but their IP is different each time they log on.
>  Is there a way to authorize that person since they
> have a dynamic IP but no real Domain Name?

I read what Cory, Jake, and Mike said, and the scp solution is
reasonable.  But here's another idea.

Mozilla has Composer, a decent WYSIWYG HTML editor.  Composer has a
"Publish" button.  If you set up publishing settings to use
http:... or https:... as the publishing address, then it will use an
HTTP PUT command to write the file directly into the document root.

>From the user's POV, this is ideal.  He loads a page into Composer (or
creates a new page).  He edits it.  He hits "Publish".  The page is
instantly live on the web.  What could be better?

You can set up authentication in a number of ways.

Best (most secure) would be to run Apache-SSL as well as Apache.
Then you can set the permissions in Apache-SSL's httpd.conf to
allow certain users to PUT.  Don't use the same username/passwords
that the non-SSL site uses (if it uses any).  Then the user
has to use the https:... address to edit the page.

Good (sort of secure) would be to allow users to authenticate with
"digest" authentication. (Use the AuthType directive.)  Using digest
authentication, an eavesdropper can see the stuff being uploaded,
but can't upload stuff him/herself.

Bad (not secure at all) would be to allow users to PUT without
authentication, or to use "basic" authentication.  That might be
acceptable in an intranet, where everybody is trusted.  But it
wouldn't work if the same server is also visible from The Internet.

I'm sorry this isn't a cookbook procedure.  I have never set the whole
thing up this way, though I've played with most of the pieces.  But it
shouldn't be too hard, if you're comfortable configuring Apache.

I have no idea whether IE also has a composer module.  And I ain't
apologizing for that! (-:

kbobsoft software consulting
http://kbobsoft.com                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]