Couldnt you just have a login/logout script that checks the users connection,
and update the hosts.allow ?

Jamie

On Saturday 07 December 2002 09:06 pm, Bob Miller wrote:
: Dave Wyatt wrote:
: > We have a web server and the public is not allowed to
: > access via FTp (a good thing).  It is set up so the
: > web directories can be accessed from the internal
: > network and one or two ip addresses from the external
: > network (internet).
: >
: > The problem is one of the owners wants to be able to
: > make changes to the site from their home DSL service
: > (Rio) but their IP is different each time they log on.
: >  Is there a way to authorize that person since they
: > have a dynamic IP but no real Domain Name?
:
: I read what Cory, Jake, and Mike said, and the scp solution is
: reasonable.  But here's another idea.
:
: Mozilla has Composer, a decent WYSIWYG HTML editor.  Composer has a
: "Publish" button.  If you set up publishing settings to use
: http:... or https:... as the publishing address, then it will use an
: HTTP PUT command to write the file directly into the document root.
:
: From the user's POV, this is ideal.  He loads a page into Composer (or
: creates a new page).  He edits it.  He hits "Publish".  The page is
: instantly live on the web.  What could be better?
:
: You can set up authentication in a number of ways.
:
: Best (most secure) would be to run Apache-SSL as well as Apache.
: Then you can set the permissions in Apache-SSL's httpd.conf to
: allow certain users to PUT.  Don't use the same username/passwords
: that the non-SSL site uses (if it uses any).  Then the user
: has to use the https:... address to edit the page.
:
: Good (sort of secure) would be to allow users to authenticate with
: "digest" authentication. (Use the AuthType directive.)  Using digest
: authentication, an eavesdropper can see the stuff being uploaded,
: but can't upload stuff him/herself.
:
: Bad (not secure at all) would be to allow users to PUT without
: authentication, or to use "basic" authentication.  That might be
: acceptable in an intranet, where everybody is trusted.  But it
: wouldn't work if the same server is also visible from The Internet.
:
: I'm sorry this isn't a cookbook procedure.  I have never set the whole
: thing up this way, though I've played with most of the pieces.  But it
: shouldn't be too hard, if you're comfortable configuring Apache.
:
: I have no idea whether IE also has a composer module.  And I ain't
: apologizing for that! (-:

--
No microsoft products were used to produce this message.