Dear EUGLUG,

I have a spare 40GB drive I was planning on putting in an old AMD K6-2
500 server.  The machine is currently running off of a 6GB drive.  I've
got 2 of these same machines -- 1 is running my websites, and the other
is at home as a test machine.

When I put the 40GB drive in there, the motherboard only saw 20GB of it.
So my idea was to get a EIDE PCI card which would have the added benefit
that I could run the 40GB drive at full UDMA100 speed.  But this makes
me curious if the kernel will need the driver for the PCI card, and
would that mean I'd have to boot from floppy?  Or would it just mean
that the boot partition needs to be at the beginning of the drive so the
motherboard can see it and once Linux is loaded, the rest of the drive
is visible?

I'm always confused by where Linux overcomes motherboard deficiencies.

Thanks,
Rob