It depends on your hardware, AFAIK, and then is up to the kernel, as to
how the drives get assigned during boot.  Just dealt with some boot
seqence issues on SATA drives here at work, and the fix was to pass
boot prompt parameters to force an ordering which allowed booting from
the desired drive.  In my case, I couldn't boot Knoppix from the CD-ROM
since the two SATA controllers bumped the auto-assignment of the CDROM
drive high enough (ie, hdj IIRC) that Knoppix did not seek it out.

You might also want to look at the motherboard manufacturer's site to
see if they have a BIOS update which woudl help...

regards,

   Ben