On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 10:09:20AM -0800, Rob Hudson wrote:
> I have a spare 40GB drive I was planning on putting in an old AMD K6-2
> 500 server.  The machine is currently running off of a 6GB drive.  I've
> got 2 of these same machines -- 1 is running my websites, and the other
> is at home as a test machine.
>
> When I put the 40GB drive in there, the motherboard only saw 20GB of it.
> So my idea was to get a EIDE PCI card which would have the added benefit
> that I could run the 40GB drive at full UDMA100 speed.  But this makes
> me curious if the kernel will need the driver for the PCI card, and
> would that mean I'd have to boot from floppy?  Or would it just mean
> that the boot partition needs to be at the beginning of the drive so the
> motherboard can see it and once Linux is loaded, the rest of the drive
> is visible?
>
> I'm always confused by where Linux overcomes motherboard deficiencies.

I have one of these I was using on my x86 box.  No longer using it, so if
you are looking for one cheap, make an offer.  =)

The challenge for me was getting it to boot off the drive.  Seems that my
BIOS knows the IDE card isn't a SCSI interface, so telling it to boot SCSI
didn't work.  I had to make sure no other HDs in the system were bootable
in order to use it.  Linux saw the first drive on the IDE card as /dev/hde
which made for interesting lilo and grub setup.

It's a Promise chipset, so you do need the appropriate driver in the
kernel, and it must be compiled in since it's for the boot device.  2.4.19
and above have the necessary driver for the ATA100 controllers.