On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 04:46:33PM -0800, Rob Hudson wrote:
> I think I'll try the UW imap server.  I'll have to figure out how to set
> this up using SSL similar to how I did it for POP, but I see that it has
> docs on this.
>
> Thanks all.

Brain dump regarding Palm options:

Most modern Palms have USB cradles.  This is significant because it means
you'll need a kernel driver to talk to it in Linux.  The Handspring Visor
was the first Palm to use a USB cradle and it just so happens that with a
little tinkering the Visor cradle driver works with modern Palms as well.
Dennis Soper recently got to play with this.  I suspect that the driver in
the kernel supports the standard Palm cradle by now, but he can tell you
more I hope.

Palm devices classify into two groups, PalmOS 4 and PalmOS 5.  The PalmOS
4 devices all use 33MHz Dragonball (m68k) processors.  They're not very
powerful at all, but they are effective and they had all kinds of hacks
available that just don't exist with the new PDAs.  PalmOS 4 devices use
Graffiti, the single stroke alphabet that goes back to the original Pilot.
Graffiti2 is a download, but on a PalmOS 4 device you'll never be able to
write your graffiti on the screen itself with such models--you're limited
to the writing area because the CPU is too sucky to interpret the alphabet
outside the writing area.  Taps and drags are as good as it gets on the
main screen.

PalmOS 5 devices use ARM CPUs and I believe they start at 133MHz and go up
from there.  They feature Graffiti2 ONLY.  The original alphabet had some
patent issue applied to it or something.  Graffiti2 is regarded as more
natural.  Usually I prefer the Graffiti2 letters.  You can enable the
feature to write anywhere on the screen with PalmOS 5, but it's not very
accurate with my crappy penmanship and Palms without a writing area have a
keypad anyway.

In terms of the PalmOS 5 devices, the Zire 71 is hard to beat for toy
factor.  It can be had under $200 easily nowadays, and is a color screen.
It's the model I carry with the built-in camera.  It can also be a SD/MMC
based mp3 player, play some Sega GameGear games, and is generally a nifty
gadget.  I can go a few days between charges, but should charge it nightly
if I were smart.  Only 16 megs of RAM, which is paltry compared to the
Tungsten series.

Much thinner and smaller is the Tungsten T, a PalmOS 4 device that can be
had cheaper.  It features Bluetooth, is thinner than the Zire 71, and the
writing area crunches inside the case.  It's also a color device, and is
more affordable than the PalmOS 5 devices in the Tungsten series.  The
Tungsten T's are the smallest Palms with full-sized screens.  You can get
a smaller screen with the older m series, but they're almost as thick as
my Zire and have a dinky screen to boot.  The Tungstens have the real
screen, but are thin.

The Tungsten T2 is the PalmOS 5 version of the Tungsten T.  A very nifty
Palm, same crunchable writing area so it takes up less real estate when
you're no using it.  Color screen, battery is not quite as good as the
Tungsten (which had much less CPU to power with it), but it's not too bad
really if you charge it every night.  It has some of the game and music
options of the Zire 71, but it's missing the camera.  You can do better
for a camera with $30-50 though.

The Tungsten T3 is an upgraded version of the T2.  The writing area is
gone, replaced with a longer screen.  I _believe_ you can enable a virtual
writing area without having to enable writing anywhere on screen.  Or, you
can have a taller or wider screen than normal.  This is the PDA I'd buy
today if I were to buy another.  The Bluetooth is nice, though probably
not so useful to a Linux user.  These things run about $300.

The last of the non-keypad Tungstens is the Tungsten E, a shiny silvery
thing that looks a lot like the Zire 71.  The camera is replaced with a
bit more RAM, mainly.  This is the budget Tungsten, but I believe it does
still have 32 megs, which is more than I've needed for anything I've done.
I bet it can be found for under $200 without much effort.

So far excepting a jab at the m series, I've talked only of color models
because I need to be able to read the thing and I can't read the sort
without color and backlight.  The Zire and Zire 21 sell as basically a
school supply, and are priced sub-$100.  No color, and the Zire is a
PalmOS 4 device.  I do not know about the 21, but I assume it may be as
well.  The 21 has more RAM.  You won't get any game made by Sega on the
low-end Zires and mp3 players aren't in the running.  Their main claim to
fame is that they're cheap and, if backed up regularly, almost disposable
if they had to be.

The Zire's have a silvery plastic hardcase available, I recommend it (one
size fits all.)  The Tungstens have metal hardcases available, and the one
for the T series is really nice IMO.  3rd parties make cases for various
Palms or generic PDAs.  I mention cases because the ones that come with
the Zire models are ridiclously useless.

Palm sells a couple models of their folding keyboard.  It's smaller than
the oldschool Targus Stowaway big-wallet-shaped keyboard, but the keys
take a little getting used to.  It's spendy, but I think if you have any
need to actually sit at meetings or work on a plane or other business
travellerish things, it's a good investment.  Slightly less cool keyboards
made by Logitech and others can be had for as little as $30.  Don't buy
one till you make sure it works with your model, though.