"Are we not all hoping to find whales swimming in the oceans of Europa?"

Yes.  With narwhal-like tusks many miles long so that they can drilll breathing
holes up to the surface when they need oxygen from an atmosphere so thin
as to be still largely inferred, rather than observed.  Indeed, whales were the first
thing that occurred to me when I read the Europa might have an ocean covered
with miles of ice.  Absolutely. :-/

What would drive you is not what would drive a scientist.  I could sympathize
with Percival Lowell's attraction to the Mysterious Orient because that's where
I am now -- and I've spent almost as much time in Japan as he did.  And I love
the poetry of Lowell's writing about Mars, when he shifted to that arena of
popularization on the theme of a distant, alien civilization.  At the same time,
however, it's pretty clear that Lowell made his name in Asian studies much
as he later did in Areography -- by getting a little too "entrepreunerial with
the truth."

"Whims, hopes and dreams" are all well and good, but there is one advantage
to a sort of ascetic self-denial of fantasy: the truth, when it comes, isn't
going to be compared to the fruits of wishful thinking, and can be appreciated for
itself, and for the cleverness and intelligence applied in arriving at it.
Or even just for its serendipitous revelations -- many scientific discoveries
underscore how we're not half as imaginative as we imagine ourselves
to be.

-michael turner