> Michael Turner may have observed that, in an effort to maintain our level
of discourse,

"Level" is susceptible to more than one measure.  One can politely speculate
that we have all dreamed of whales on Europa.  And one can scathingly
point out that some of us have not, for reasons that should be obvious to
anyone with more than a passing acquaintance with the subject.  Having
just attended a scientific conference, I can tell you which
quality-of-discourse
measure matters in real life: light generally counts for more than heat,
which is expected in any case (light being less dependable).  As the old
saw goes, if you can't take the heat ....

> I have abstained from responding to his prior attacks.  The religious
> fanatic/cultist argument, however, has worn.

My main point was to indicate where optimism unmoderated by realism
(or where optimism that has soured into opportunistic cynicism, or
defensive fanaticism) can lead.  I'll take realism, thank you.

> More importantly, it is not persuasive.

I'd let history answer that one.

> If indeed Mr. Turner's definition of a cultist is one who is optimistic
> about the future of humanity's ability or the wonders of our unexplored
> universe, then I proudly fit that definition.

It's not my definition of a cultist, of course, but it is dismaying how
often the incurable optimists find themselves a long way down that
road.

> I suppose Carl Sagen would as well.

A good question.  I haven't read _The Demon-Haunted World_,
but that's where I'd look for clues.

> My definition, however, would be somewhat more conventional.
> For some thoughts on interstellar travel outside of the cultist community,
> see here.
>
> http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/PAO/html/warp/possible.htm

Ah, a web search on Transdimensional Technologies (source of
the last paper listed, in the "not necessarily endorsed by BPP"
section), really makes me wonder about this characterization of
"outside the cultist community."  ("But it must be serious,
peer-reviewed literature -- I found it referenced on a NASA
website!")

> While I will concede that "visibly on our horizon" may not be
> supportable by current science, the point is the same.  Interstellar
travel
> will come.

This, I'm afraid, is an article of faith.  I'd like interstellar travel
to come, but I don't take it as a fait accompli.

> This, and many things that may seem like magic or fantasy now,
> will not seem that way in our future.

Likewise, many things that we've been led to believe will happen
by science fiction, and by the speculations of some scientists, will
be proven impossible.  The universe doesn't yield up miracles
simply because we've imagined them, and have had some
wonderful progress along certain lines of speculation.

> Back to Europa:  I applaud the scientific community for the
> hard and practical work many are doing every day to find real
> answers to what, if anything, may be there.  Please don't become
> too practical, however, to maintain healthy level of fanciful
> speculation when you take a break from doing hard science.

I really don't think they need this advice -- disciplined speculation
has yielded far more useful results than fanciful speculation.
And disciplined speculation comes from an understanding of
limitations as well as possibilities.  It also channels excitement
along genuinely useful and productive directions.

For example, Arthur C. Clarke is rightly credited with forseeing
a commercial use for geosynchronous satellites communicating
over the radio spectrum (even if he didn't exactly come up
with the concept); his specific prediction, that television would
be the initial 'killer app', wasn't quite right, but it did eventually
come along.  It was a communications theorist, John Pierce,
however, who figured out that long-distance telephony was the
more sensible and likely initial application.  Clarke got it wrong in
another (hopelessly optimistic) way: he thought the TV comsat
was also *manned spaceflight's* killer app -- without people
up there, who would change all the vacuum tubes as they
burned out?  But I guess he can't be faulted for not predicting
the transistor.  After all, that would have taken someone with
real scientific training, not a former RAF technician.  Still, if
he hadn't framed the idea in such fanciful terms, it might have
gotten more attention earlier.  And if he'd looked at a more
mundane application (like telephony) rather than one that was
still finding its feet (television), prospects might have been better
still.  If not prospects, then at least credibility.

-michael turner
[EMAIL PROTECTED]