On 9 May 2014 at 18:11, Roger Daisley via EV wrote:

> I am going to give the Costco 6v golf cart Batteries a try. I just hauled home
> 18 of them. (56 lbs, ea.)

Those are pretty light golf car batteries!  I'm used to GC batteries that
weigh between 62 and 67 lb each.  I'd expect yours to have about 11-16% less
capacity than those.

In fact now that I look at this comparison chart

http://www.evdl.org/pages/gc_comparison.html

(which is admittedly a few years old), it looks like yours match the lowest
capacity batteries on the page, the USBMC US-1800s.  These budget batteries
have a C20 of 208ah and a 75 amp reserve capacity of 107 minutes.  Compare
those with the standard USBMCs (US-2200) with a C20 of 232ah and a reserve
capacity of 122 minutes.  That's a 12% hit in the RC department, well in
line with what the low weight would suggest.

You don't always get what you pay for, but you very seldom get what you
DON'T pay for.  But if the ones you got have enough capacity that your
normal daily mission for the car doesn't need more than 50-60% of that
capacity, they may do OK for you.

> My previous battery set has the L-foot terminals, while the Costco
> batteries have the post, with 5/16 screw. My controller draws about
> 550 amps, max.  (Usually, under one minute duration.) What would be
> the best practice to hook up 2/0 cabling, with lug ends?

I've used those post bolts for lower current EVs.  They did OK for me with a
controller that had a current limit of 350 amps.  I don't think I'd want to
go much higher than that with them, though.

You also have to be careful how you tighten them.  Too tight and you can
pull the bolt right out of the lead.  But too loose and they're apt to get
hot and melt the post.  They loosen over time anyway, because no matter how
you torque them, the bolt creeps up through the lead.

I'd suggest that you change the cable ends for crimp-on clamp terminals that
suit the battery.  Also make up entirely new interconnects with crimped-on
clamp terminals.  Put the old interconnects with lugs in a box on the shelf
in the garage and save them for your next pack, which I suspect may be a
different brand.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator