From: EV [mailto:ev-boun...@lists.evdl.org] On Behalf Of Bill Dube via EV
Sent: 06 June, 2014 12:27 PM
To: Cor van de Water; Electric Vehicle Discussion List
Subject: Re: [EVDL] V2G at L1 is practical

If you are concerned about your EV somehow supplying unwanted
current, burning up wires, juicing an electrician, etc. one could
think of several ways to electronically sense if the grid had gone
dark, or some circuit breaker in the chain had tripped.

I agree that if the GFCI didn't trip when drawing current (like when
normally charging,) then it certainly won't trip when supplying
current. Not an issue.

A lone 20 amp 120 volt circuit doesn't matter for frequency
stabilization, but large numbers of 20 amp 120 volt circuits would.
If V2G were a standard feature in EVs, and a large number of EVs were
plugged in, then it would make a big difference. However, simply
listening for a central instruction from the local utility to "pause
charging" for a few minutes would be _much_ cheaper to implement and
would be nearly as effective.

The local utility issues such signals to "saver switch" type devices
here in Colorado:
http://www.xcelenergy.com/Save_Money_&_Energy/Rebates/Saver%27s_Switch_for_R
esidences_-_CO?stateSelected=true

You can put your EV charger on a "saver switch" that is controlled by
the utility. Simple.

Bill Dube'