Have you ever been customer of a US bank?
I was totally shocked when I came to the USA, fed my new ATM card into
the nearest machine and was asked to pay several dollars "convenience
fee" just to pull my money out of the machine, simply because it was not
the same bank as where I had my account.
In Europe (or at least in The Netherlands) I was used to just look for
the
nearest ATM of any bank and pull my money out without fee, because all
banks are connected anyway so there is no additional cost and the ATM
saves them the cost of the teller, so all ATMs are fee-free. Yo umay not
have the full services on every ATM, for example deposit of cash/checks
is only offered on select ATMs of your own bank, but at least you can
get your money everywhere without paying to get your own money.
But not in USA, except for a network of Credit Unions, which I quickly
moved my accounts to, to get away from the bank syndicat.

So - I see the different charging networks similar to the problem that
the banks created for their customers in USA: you have to stay "in
network" or you either are denied or pay an additional fee for the
service.
I am still happy that my truck is being charged 99% of the time from a
standard wall outlet. It may take a while, but I am not required to
support a devisive system.

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Skype: cor_van_de_water Tel: +1 408 383 7626