On Aug 28, 2014, at 4:54 AM, Chris Tromley via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 3:53 AM, brucedp5 via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:
>
>> A new study brings an old topic back to the forefront: how much range is
>> enough, and is it better to use battery advancements to decrease price
>> without improving range or make electric vehicles go further on a charge?
>
> ​Why not do both?

Exactly!

Almost always missing from these discussions is that -- shock and horror! --
not all drivers have the same needs.

I have an uncle who lives in San Francisco, and he has a Fit EV that's part of
Honda's pilot program. He loves it. I honestly can't imagine a better car for
him. Size, range, economics, performance -- it's a perfect, pardon the pun,
fit. Sure, wave a magic faery wand and give it more range and that wouldn't
hurt anything...but, in the real world, that would mean compromising some other
aspect of the car -- and for no practical benefit.

Now, imagine, say, a high-end real estate agent in Dallas who has rural
clients. The Fit would perhaps be the cruelest joke you could foist upon such a
person. She's actually going to need that 400+ mile range, and telling her she
can get by just fine with something that gets less than an hundred miles before
needing to charge for at least an hour...well, it's insulting to her and
reinforces the stereotype that EV enthusiasts are puritanical tree-huggers
completely out of touch with reality. But offer her a Tesla with a 400+ mile
range at today's base model prices, and she'll fight to be first in line to buy
one.

Horses for courses and all that jazz.

Cheers,

b&