If I honeycomb arrange my cells I can get more to fit. The stock plates I have
seen won't work as they are for square arrangements of cells, like this:

http://www.manzanitamicro.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/4_Cell_Bus_Bar_f_4e77a3a355a78.jpg

Also, it isn't much effort and but is much knowledge gained to test Al vs. Cu.
Since the cell is Al inside, it seems like Al might be better for that reason,
but possibly worse for other reasons.

Al wire is about 1/6 the price of Cu wire, but it would be a lot of work to
hammer or crimp Al wire into a good shape for Headways. I called about
electrically conductive Aluminum sheet -- it is not commonly used or stocked,
and is very expensive (unlike the wire). So Al is either a lot of work or high
cost, two more negatives I just learned about.

Lee brings up a good point about the plates stressing the cell terminals. Here
are some more data points on that front:

    o  The cases on Headways are steel, so the cells are very strong.
    o  The Headway plastic holders are surprisingly strong and rigid.
http://www.manzanitamicro.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/3_Cell_Plastic_H_4e77a2af4fd3f.jpg
  You have to push the cells in with a fair amount of force, the stress goes to
the metal case. I made a 6x8 array with the plastic holders. That many cells
weighs about 30 lbs (14 kg). To my surprise, I could lift opposite corners but
couldn't detect the little 6x8 pack flexed or that the cells shifted at all. So
maybe you can get away with plates on Headways better than for the large block
prismatics.
    o  To get the equivalent of 0000 cable cross section I need Cu plate about
0.022 in thick (the current with go through about 10 inches wide). That can
bend a bit if flexed, but will still be pretty rigid between the posts... Hmmm,
do I trust the Headway rings to be tough enough for plates or do something
fancier with intercell connectors?

Thanks all for the good ideas and discussion.