Yep, flux density is a bulk and dimensional property.  Less material always
means less contribution to the field that can be supported.  I was talking
about nickel as a substrate being notably ferromagnetic, not as a plating.

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 7:09 PM, Cor van de Water via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
wrote:

> The mangnetic properties will still be coming from the steel,
> even though Nickel is magnetic, because typically plating is done
> as thin as possible, so the Nickel won't contribute much to the magnetic
> properties. for example, if you would have nickel plated copper or alu,
> it won't have much magnetic properties.
>
> Cor van de Water
> Chief Scientist
> Email: cwa...@proxim.com Private: http://www.cvandewater.info
> Skype: cor_van_de_water Tel: +1 408 383 7626

*Dalai Lama *

Tell me what it is you plan to do
With your one wild and precious life?
Mary Oliver, "The summer day."