I too have tried to get HOV stickers, but the agency providing the
sticker have made a very narrow interpretation of the California laws,
where it indicates that all qualified vehicles should get a sticker
(clearly meaning: all zero emissions vehicles) the agency has changed
their interpretation and enforcement to only give stickers to vehicles
where the *manufacturer* of the vehicle has certified that the
vehicle qualifies (meets a set of rules that they have defined).
I am doubting whether this was an attempt to kill interest in EVs in
general
by making it unattractive (difficult) to qualify for HOV stickers, but
it
certainly causes all pre-existing and self-converted vehicles to become
disqualified from HOV stickers, which sounds arbitrary.
Anyway, the interpretation of the agency causes this and it seems that
it is an incorrect interpretation of the law. Either a lot of pressure
on this agency or a lawsuit might be needed to change this
interpretation - or enough politicians that hear from their (EV driving)
constituency and make it explicit to the agency that they must issue
stickers to *all* EVs.

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist