And don't
 forget plug-in Hybrids.   They can go on out of state or in state, use
gasoline (and pay gas tax), use electricity (and potentially be taxed
via odometer also, resulting
in doubly taxed, no taxed or any combination therein.

>Not really! The government must collect taxes to pay for roads. Previously it
>was done by taxing fuel. You can tax electricity to pay for roads because how
>would you know which part >went into the vehicle. So they have to devise
>another way

Not previously.   It's STILL done that way.   There isn't a damn thing wrong
with the current system.    If they want more money, just raise the gas tax.
 If they are too chicken to do that, then they can just accept the consequences.

Adding some stupid tax on cars that get more than 55 mpg or EV's is a damn drop
in the bucket as far as revenue goes.   This isn't about revenue.   It's about
something else.

 want to stress that the whole thing is ridiculous.   Even if you doubly taxed
every single EV it would be a drop in the ocean for actual tax
revenues.

The whole
"fairness" thing is a giant red herring devised by a dozen people in the
 dept of Transportation in Oregon,   (As if the public was ever
clammoring for taxing electric cars ) This group originally formed about
 13 years ago, to get a 2 million dollar Bush-era grant to try and tax
people for driving during rush hour...so rich people could drive
unimpeded without the riff raff clogging up "their" freeways.    The did
 a pilot study with GPS installed and they did their stupid study and used the
money.  then instead of just disbanding,  they need to keep the funding so they
tried to get it
expanded and the public overwhelmingly said "NO" to GPS.   Now their
cushy jobs were at risk so they dusted off the same study to do try and
foist the same thing on electric cars and got more tax money.   But
nobody wants a GPS in their car.   And the shennanigans at the NSA have
made this even more politically difficult.   So now they are desperately
 lobbying to keep the funding coming and using the "crumbling
infrastructure arguments and trying to get the public mad about EV
cars...yeah right.   I'd guess 90% of the public doesn't even realize
there is a tax on gasoline....and probably only 1%  have a clue about the
amounts.   Because they never actually pay a bill.

So this whole thing is about job
security of a few select people who have already spent millions of
dollars of tax payer money to collect a few thousand dollars in tax.   They
 bombard  state governments all over the nation with fear mongering
studies indicating drastically falling revenues over the next 10
years..and our elected representatives are wetting themselves with math
and chart anxiety that they don't even understand.   The Oregon group
keeps pounding into their ears that EV drivers will destroy our nations
infrastructure....So they create task forces that they can blame if
anything bad happens.

Also because
there is no such thing as "math" at our nations law schools, these same
geniuses will spend billions of dollars to figure out how to generate
millions in EV-taxes.

No joke.   It's not about revenue

in 2012 their pilot program cost the taxpayer $1,515,467.
It brought in a whopping $2,840 in tax

Their
 NEW 5000 volunteer program allows 1500 gas vehicle which get LESS than
17 mpg to pay a tax equivalent to 19 mpg.  In other words it creates a
SUBSIDY FOR GAS GUZZLERS SO THEY PAY LESS TAX

And here we are......

Source
http://www.nascio.org/awards/nominations2014/2014/2014OR4-Oregon-ODOT%20-%202014%20Road%20Usage%20Charge%20Program.pdf
and