On Nov 11, 2014, at 5:51 PM, Michael Ross via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> It is pretty clear if you drive hard on over
> inflated tires that you have far less traction.

Another way to look at it: the ultimate in tire "inflation" would be a solid
steel rim on the road. And, indeed, locomotives have a fraction of the rolling
resistance that vehicles with tires do.

However, it's also pretty obvious that traction sucks with wheels like that.
It's trivial for a locomotive to do a "burnout" by spinning the wheels at low
speeds; we've all seen the iconic films of it happening with classic steam /
coal boiler trains. But, with something with pneumatic tires, you've got to
both lock the unpowered wheels <i>and</i> have a good deal of power to the
powered wheels to achieve the same effect.

Or, contrast it with top fuel dragsters whose low-pressure tires are designed
to radically deform and ripple so as to lay down maximum amounts of rubber to
transfer as much power as possible from the drivetrain through the tires to the
road.

Ideal, of course, would be some sort of magic faery dust technology that could
instantly change tire inflation to suit conditions, from low pressure and
squishy when accelerating (in any vector, as a physicist would put it) to high
pressure and stiff when cruising. But don't hold your breath....

Cheers,

b&