Not that it would make a huge difference, but I question the value of a heat pump H/W heater in winter. If it's taking heat from your garage or basement, that is ultimately taking some heat from your heated spaces, which means you're simply using more energy elsewhere. If you could somehow duct the air intake from outside during winter, then it would be doing the best job it could. In summer, no doubt a true benefit.

Before you argue that I'm wroing, consider this. If the air outside your garage is colder than inside and the H/W tank is cooling the garage air in exchange for heating the water, either the garage temp will drop to less than the outside or warm air will be drawn from the home's heated spaces. If you are truly insulated, then the former will happen and you will have the equivalent of ducting intake from outside. I doubt that the normal case.

Peri

------ Original Message ------
From: "Mike Nickerson via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
To: "Ben Goren" <b...@trumpetpower.com>; "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Sent: 15-Jan-15 9:04:35 PM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] EV Demand Response - (solar-thermal-NOT)

I have one of the heat pump water heaters. It basically looks like a normal water heater with a small heat pump on top. They blow the cooler air out the top of the heat pump, so they can indeed be used to help with cooling in the summer. You need airflow around the area of the water heater to take advantage of the cooler air coming from the heat pump.

Mike