On Jan 16, 2015, at 8:20 PM, Cor van de Water via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> If the amount of energy as hot water that you pull out of the garage is
> larger than the
> energy going into the garage as electric power, then the garage is cooled by
> the heat pump WH.

Seems like the proper answer is ducting to the outside with a reversible fan.
When you want to cool your indoors, draw air from outside and vent it inside.
When you want to heat your indoors, draw air from inside and vent it outside.
Or, if it's excessively cold outside, draw air from inside and also vent it
inside and / or switch to resistive heating.

Having never even heard of heatpump water heaters until a day or three ago, I
wouldn't begin to speculate on how suited off-the-self models are to such a
configuration.

b&