> ... I question the value of a heat pump H/W heater in winter.
> If it's taking heat from your garage or basement,
> that is ultimately taking some heat from your heated spaces...

Yes, one has to think about where it is.  But my garage is not heated, nor
is my basement.  Therefore it is taking the heat from the environment which
is taking it from outside (if it is your unheated garatge or fromteh ground
if it is my basement.

The temperature in my below ground basement never gets below 55F even
during the winter no matter how much "heat" I pump out of it into the water
heater. Nor the 10,000 BTu of heat I pump out of it via an old A/C unit
serving as a heat pump by placing its cool side in the basement and its
warm side into the follor of the room above. The surface area of the
basement is about 2000 sqft includgint eh walls and crawlspace area.  That
is a huge source of latent heat, even in the winter.

So I call them modest "ground source" heatpump systems since that is where
the heat is actually coming from when I draw it from the basement.

But I agree.  If you put the heat pump water heater in a closet or in a
heated portion of the house, one really needs to think it through.    In
the summer, it is great almost anywherer you put it, but if it is in a
conditioned space, it should probably be exhaust vented outdoors in the
winter.

Bob, WB4APR

 which means you're simply using more energy elsewhere.  If you could
somehow duct the air intake from outside during winter, then it would be
doing the best job it could.  In summer, no doubt a true benefit.